He moved back into Salem and bought the guest house back from his sister, along with the summer kitchen. (In the photo at left you can see the house during WWI, with flag on front porch. Also, the summer kitchen had not been added to the house yet, as you can see it to the right of the house.) He added the summer kitchen to the back of the house sometime later. This house is at 334 South Castle, directly behind (west) of the Lemen-Frakes House.
On 6 Jan 1920, the census shows Jay (59) and Anna (48) MERTER living at 334 South Castle Avenue, Salem, Marion County, Illinois. Living with them were their children Beatrice MERTEN age 20; Morris MERTEN age 17; Eunice MERTEN age 10; Floyd MERTEN age 14; and Clyde MERTEN age 12. They owned their home, but it was morgaged. Julius was listed as a laborer at a seed barn. Beatrice was a clerk at a restaurant. Morris was a call boy at a despatcher's office.
Annie always kept a garden and here she is getting help from children, "Bud" and "Bea." Of course, Bea was more into posing for photos than tending a garden. Julius planted a grape arbor behind Merten Cottage. He would make homemade wine from the concord grapes. They also made wonderful grape jelly. This grape arbor is still there today (2003) and still produces wonderful grapes.
Grandmother Bea recieved her schooling in Salem. She did quit high school during WWI because they dropped German from the cirriculum. She thought it was stupid to not teach the language of the country you were fighting. Also, she was German-Jew and was proud that her family came from Germany. Here is a photo of her in school.
On 3 Jul 1924, because the economy was not good in Salem during the 20's, Julius and Annie moved to Harvey, Cook County, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. He kept his house in Salem and rented one in Harvey. Their children, Eunice, Floyd and Clyde moved with them. They all hated Harvey and missed Salem greatly, but Julius was able to find a job so they remained. The landlady was very unfriendly.
In June 1925, Annie bgan to get sick. She started losing weight. She also became terribly homesick for Salem. In her letter to her daugher, Bea, she said she would like to move back to Salem, In her letter of 11 Jul 1925, she stated that she had gone to the store and that she would have to go to the hospital for at least a month for a rest. She entered the hospital on Monday the 31 Aug 1925. Her son, Floyd, also had to go into the hospital for an operation. the following leter is the last one she wrote before she died:
Engalls Memorial hospital Harvey Ill Sep 16, 1925
Wensday morning. I am sitting up this morning. Will write you how everything is here I am alright but as thin as a rail so weak cant walk alone to see Bud he is in the 3rd ward from me The nurse take me to him in the weelchair. Was to see him 3 time havent been to see him yet this morning They are so bussy several operations ar going on this morning a lady from our ward is going to take a ride soon This is a life Hospital life I say. I don't want to come back If I ever get out her.
Bud had a bad nite last nite but he is resting good this mrning. The nurses said that there was nothing to worry about This is his 3 day I think he will feel better after today Eunice was here yesterday after noon will come again today She met her frind, Nella
Bee I am her almost 3 weeks and will be here another week if I take the operation I don't know what to do yet today. i think about the expens taks us the rest of our lives to pay if I improved.
Dad was take off the watch man job and had to go to the Boiler room again they put an old man 77 years on the job for 2 months anway dad will work hard dont know how he will make it such luck
but I see other with the same luck
what is to be wil be. That is the old saying anaway.
Lots of love to Both-write soon mother
Hope you are feeling alright
Annie died six days later while being operated on.
On 3 Apr 1930, the census shows Julus MERTEN age 70 living on Center 153rd Street in Harvey Cook County, Illinois. With him were his children Clyde MERTEN age 22; Eunice HICK age 26; Floyd MERTEN age 24; and Lois HICK age 3. Julius was renting and the rent was $36.00 a month. He owned a radio. Julius was employed as a watchman. Floyd was a Hammerman at a Steel place.
The photo at right was taken in Harvey. Left to Right: Julius MERTEN, Eunice (MERTEN) HICKS holding Lois HICKS, William Randolph FRAKES, William Philip FRAKES, and Maurice MERTEN.
Julius retired in 1935 and returned to his home in Salem. And there he lived out the remaining years of his life.
Photo at left, Left to Right: Beatrice Margaret Julietta MERTEN, Floyd Howard "Bud" MERTEN, Clyde Erwin MERTEN, Eunice Elva MERTEN and Maurice Russell MERTEN
Children of Julius and Anna (MAIER) MERTEN:
1. Beatrice Margaret Julietta "Bea" MERTEN, born 1899.
(See #1 following)
2. Maurice Russell MERTEN, born 1901.
(See #2 following)
3. Eunice Elva MERTEN, born 1903.
(See #3 following)
4. Floyd Howard "Bud" MERTEN, born 1905.
(See #4 following)
5. Clyde Erwin MERTEN, born 1907.
(See #5 following)
Beatrice Margaret Julietta "Bea" MERTEN, born 13 November 1899, Shattuc, Clinton, County, Illinois. She died 23 October 1985, Salem, Marion County, Illinois. Bea and Bill are both buried in East Lawn Cemetery, Salem, Marion County, Illinois.
Bea married William Philip "Bill" FRAKES 31 January 1924, Vandalia, Fayette County, Illinois. He was born 10 May 1890, Prairie Creek, Vigo County, Indian, son of Francis Marion and Hannah Margaret C. (ARTHUR) FRAKES. He died 14 February 1965, Veteran's Hospital, Marion, Williamson County, Illinois.
On 5 Apr 1930, the census shows William P. (35) and Beatrice M. J. (30) FRAKES living at 334 South Castle Avenue, Salem, Marion County, Illinois. With them were their sons William R. age 4 years and 5 months; and Philip H. age 1 year and 2 months. They were renting, paying $20.00 a month. William was a conductor on a steam railroad.
The photo above and right, is the William P. and Beatrice M. J. (MERTEN) FRAKES family. Left to right: Beatrice, Philip, Judy, Bill and Bill, Sr. The children in front, left to right: Cyndy Thurman, Mark Frakes and seated is Tanya Frakes.
Children of William Philip & Beatrice M. J. (MERTEN) FRAKES:
1. William Randolph "Bill" Frakes, born 2 Nov 1925, Salem, Marion County, Illinois. Bill died 17 Jan 2011, St.Louis, Missouri.
Bill married Betty Jean Hammer, born 26 Jul 1929, Kinmundy, Illinois, daughter of Myron and Cloa Fern (Swift) Hammer.
2. Philip Howard "Phil" Frakes, born 25 Feb 1929, Salem, Illinois. He died Friday, 16 Sep 2005, Salem, Marion County, Illinois.
Phil married Monna Marilyn Conant, born 17 Dec 1933, Foster Township, Marion county, Illinois, daughter of George William Conant and Grace (Bassett) Conant.
3. Julianne May Frakes, born 21 Nov 1934, Salem, Illinois.
Judy married Howard Galloway Thurman, Jr., born 21 May 1934, Salem, Illinois, son of Howard Galloway and Ethel E. (Berg) Thurman. Howard died 6 Jan 2011, Bakersfield, Kern County, California.
Grandchildren of William P. & Beatrice M. J. (MERTEN)FRAKES:
1. Marsha Lynn Frakes, born 27 Mar 1949, Salem, Illinois of Bill & Betty.
Marsha married Timothy Paul Bagley, born 9 Jul 1946, South Norfolk, Virginia..
2. Mark Alan Frakes, born 10 Feb 1954, Cario, Illinois of Bill & Betty.
3. Tanya Rae Frakes, born 7 July 1955, Highland, Illinois of Phil & Monna. Tanya died 23 January 2010, Salem, Marion County, Illinois.
Tanya married first Roddy Alan Courtright of Louisville, Illinois.
Tanya married second David Joseph Belfiore of Denver, Colorado.
4. Cynthia Tenae Thurman, born 16 September 1955, Salem, Illinois.
Cyndy married Riley Cecil Cannon, born 29 Jul 1952, Bakersfield, California.
5. Stephen Philip Howard Frakes, born 2 October 1957, Highland, Illinois of Phil & Monna.
6. Howard Galloway "Trey" Thurman, III, born 2 April 1959, Abilene, Texas.
Trey married 3rd Tyla (Davis) Reynolds of Bakersfield, California.
7. Van William Thurman, born 17 September 1960, Abilene, Texas.
Van married Terri Lynne Martell of Bakersfield, Calfiornia.
8. Terri June Frakes, born 22 April 1962, Highland, Illinois of Phil & Monna.
Terri married Richard Dale Adams of Patoka.
Great-Grandchildren of William P. & Beatrice M. J. (MERTEN)FRAKES:
1. Nathan Roddy "Nate" Courtright, born 11 Dec 1973, Centralia, Illinois.
Nate married Angie Jaye (Albert) Riley, born 18 Mar 1972. Marion County, Illinois.
2. Jason Paul Bagley, born 1 Apr 1975, Wichita, Kansas.
Jason married 2nd Elizabeth Morrow Randman.
3. Jennifer Leigh Bagley, born 23 Oct 1979, Portsmouth, Virginia.
Jen married 2nd George Thomas "Mickey" Clutts. He was born 24 Feb 1970.
4. Riley Edward Cannon, III, born 16 Feb 1981, Bakersfield, California.
Riley married Marissa Elizabeth Mauer 27 Apr 2007, Bakersfield, California.
5. Trent Maurice Adams, 5 Dec 1982, Centralia, Illinois.
6. William Tyler Cannon, born 11 Mar 1983, Bakersfield, California.
Tyler married Kelly Dawn Albitre 2003, born 19 Apr 1983, Bakersfield, California.
7. Brock Richard Adams, 26 Sep 1985, Centralia, Illinois.
8. David Philip Anthony Belfiore, 18 Oct 1985, Orlando, Florida.
David Philip married 1st Samantha Jean Daniels 14 March 2009, Salem, Marion County, Illinois.
David Philip married 2nd Andrea Morlan 19 Oct 2013, Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada.
9. Brooke Nicole Thurman, 19 Mar 1986, Fresno, California, daughter of Van and Terri.
Brooke married Kevin Trent Bratcher 28 Apr 2012, Hawaii.
10. Nicole Elise Thurman, 9 Jan 1989, Bakersfield, California, daughter of Van and Terri.
Nicole married Jack Joseph Campbell Jan 2011, Bakersfield, Kern County, California.
11. Daniel William Eli Belfiore, 3 Feb 1992, Belleville, Illinois.
Daniel married 1st Erica Amber-lynn Casner. Daughter of Nikki Casner and Terry L. Garren.
12. Jourdan Darlene "Jourdy" Thurman 15 Aug 1996, Bakersfield, California, daughter of Trey.
Jourdan married ___?___ Martinez.
Great-Great-Grandchildren of William P. & Beatrice M. J. (Merten)Frakes:
**. Jillian Rebecca Riley, born 21 Sep 1992, Beaufort, South Carolina, Stepdaughter of Nathan Courtright.
Jill married Adam Wilkins.
1. Kylee Dawn Cannon, born 11 Jun 2000, Bakersfield, Kern County, California, daughter of Tyler.
2. Madison Jaye Courtright, born 29 Mar 2002, Breese, Clinton County, Illinois.
3. William Kelby Clutts, born 9 Oct 2006, Belleville, St. Clair County, Illinois.
4. Jacob "Jake" Cannon, born 2006, Bakersfield, Kern County, California, son of Tyler. Son of Tyler.
5. Brooklyn Cannon, born Sep 2007, Bakersfield, Kern County, California. Daugher of Riley.
6. Reece Daniel Cannon, born 21 Dec 2007, Bakersfield, Kern County, California. Son of Tyler.
7. Myleigh Rose Clutts, born 11 Apr 2008, Maryville, Madison County, Illinois.
8. Alexandra Ann "Lexi" Bagley, born 24 Jun 2009, St. Louis County, Missouri. Twin of Addie.
9. Addison Lynn "Addie" Bagley, born 24 Jun 2009, St. Louis County, Missouri. Twin of Lexi.
10. Wyatt Rodney William Belfiore, born 17 Dec 2009, Breese, Clinton County, Illinois, son of David and Samantha.
11. Mason Paul Clutts, born Monday, 11 January 2010, Anderson Hospital, Maryville, Madison County, Illinois.
12. Cameron Bennett Cannon, born 24 Jun 2010, Bakersfield, Kern County, California, son of Tyler.
13. Jack Campbell, born May 2011, Bakersfield, Kern County, California.
14. Bobbi Julianne Cannon, born 11 Dec 2011, Bakersfield, Kern County, California, daughter of Tyler.
15. Audrian Elyse Martinez, born 30 Mar 2013, Bakersfield, Kern County, California.
16. Ryleigh Rae Belfiore, born 6 Dec 2013, Centralia, Marion County, Illinois. Daughter of Daniel.
17. Gianna Grace Campbell, born May 2014, Bakersfield, Kern County, California.
18. Beau Trenton Bratcher, born 4 Jul 2014, Bakersfield, Kern County, California.
19. Hadleigh Belfiore, born 11 Jul 2014, Breese, Clinton County, Illinois. Daughter of David and Andrea.
20. Grayson Leo Adams, born 17 Aug 2015, Effingham, Effingham County, Illinois. Son of Brock & Lauren.
21. Waylon David Maverick Belfiore, born 26 Nov 2015, Breese, Clinton County, Illinois. Son of David and Andrea.
Eunice Elva MERTEN, born 12 June 1903, Shattuc, Clinton County, Illinois. She died 17 July 1983, Salem, Marion County, Illinois.
Aunt Eunice married Earl Travis HICKS 22 Sep 1924, Harvey, Cook County, Illinois. They divorced.
Eunice lived the first six years of her life in Shattuc, where her father was the local merchant.
In 1909, she moved to Salem with her parents, moving into the Lemen House at 321 South Franklin Avenue. In
In 1917, they moved to 334 South Castle Avenue.
In 1924, her parents and two younger brothers moved to Harvey, Illinois. They kept their house on Castle in Salem. After Julius retired, they moved back to Salem and Eunice lived the rest of her life at 334 South Castle.
On 1 Dec 1925, Eunice wrote the following letter to her sister, addressed: Mrs. William FRAKES 421 N Broadway Salem Ill., "Harvey Ill Dec 1, 1925 Dear Sis How is everyone feeling after the Thanksgiving holiday? Did you have Turkey! We received a letter from Maurice yesterday and he, Shorty, Reeden and Jack Huses had a Turkey dinner given by their landlady. Travis and I went to Chicago Saturday afternoon and I bought a new coat. It is black Bolivia with fox fur cuffs and collar and it has a flease bottom. I like to buy in the city as there is such a large variety to choose from. How is Junior? Does he cray as much as you did when a baby. Bee, did you know that Jesse's father in law was working here in Harvey? He is working at the Austin in the same department that Dad is working. He said he knew you when you worked at Garby's. Dad has another job now, in the motor sweeper department. It is lighter work. We received the money order for twenty-two dollars and next time just send eighteen. I have been busy all week straightening the house. We moved last Monday and it is some job. I think this will be the last move, and if we have to move again we are going to sell out. Are you coming up Christmas? It seemed like Christmas the last few days as the ground was covered with snow. Well Bee, I must close as I want to scrub the kitchen and wash my hair. There is always something to do. Write soon. Love Eunice 15238 Lexington Ave."
On 3 Apr 1930, the census shows Eunice HICKS age 26 and her daughter Lois HICKS age 3 living with Eunice's father Julius MERTEN age 70 living in Harvey, Cook County, Illinois. Also there were Eunice's brothers Floyd MERTEN age 24; and Clyde MERTEN age 22. Their rent was $36.00 a month. Juliusí was listed as a watchman. Floyd worked at the steel works.
Daughter of Earl Travis & Eunice Elva (MERTEN) HICKS:
1. Lois Maxine HICKS, born 26 Aug 1926, Harvey, Cook County, Illinois. She died 29 Mar 2004, Salem. She married Val Jean HUDGENS.
Grandchildren of Earl Travis & Eunice Elva (MERTEN) HICKS:
1. Brenda Jane HUDGENS, born 29 September 1950, Salem, Illinois. Brenda married Steve LOEW.
2. Norman Eugene HUDGENS, born 22 June 1954, Salem, Illinois. Norman married Karen Jean RICHISON.
3. Patricia Kay "Trish" HUDGENS, born 15 July 1955, Salem, Illinois. Trish married Bret JEZEK.
Great-Grandchildren of Earl Travis & Eunice Elva (MERTEN)HICKS:
1. David Val HUDGENS, born 22 Nov 1975, Mt. Vernon, Illinois. David married Stephanie McWHORTER 2007.
2. Gary Michael GARICH, born 13 Sep 1977, Centralia, Illinois. Gary married Amanda Kay DANIELS 2007.
3. Joel Arthur HUDGENS, born 15 May 1979, Mt. Vernon, Illinois. Joel married Marie KARRICK.
4. Cole Edward JEZEK, born 28 Jul 1985, Centralia, Illinois.
5. Rebecca Jane JEZEK, born 10 Feb 1987, Mt. Vernon, Illinois.
Great-Great-Grandchild of Earl Travis & Eunice Elva (MERTEN)HICKS:
1. Joel Blade HUDGENS, born 7 Sep 1997, son of Joel.
2. Ashley Marie HUDGENS, born 30 Jun 2005, daughter of Joel.
Floyd Howard "Bud" MERTEN, born 12 May 1905, Shattuc, Clinton County, Illinois. He died 20 January 1972, age 66 at his home in Harvey, Cook county, Illinois. He is buried next to his parents, brother Clyde and sister Eunice in East Lawn Cemetery, Salem, Marion County, Illinois.
Bud never married.
Bud served in the United States Army during World War II, in the European Theatre, where he was wounded.
He was greatly loved by his brother and sisters, nephews and nieces and friends. A man with great personality. He really enjoyed life.
In the photo, Bud is the one on the left.
Clyde Erwin MERTEN, born 5 October 1907, Shattuc, Clinton County, Illinois. He died 13 August 1990 at his home, Merten Cottage, where he had lived most of his life in Salem. He is buried next to his parents and brother Bud and sister Eunice in East Lawn Cemetery in Salem.
He was employed at Bachmann's Furniture Store until his retirement. He was a very gentle and quiet man. He always kept a vegetable garden. He also made wine from his backyar vineyard.
The Salem, Marion County, Illinois Yahoo Group has genealogies and many old photos of Salem, Illinois and many old pictures of some of the families of Salem. There is a file section for histories and genealogies of Salem. There are photo albums for you to place your own photos of your family. You can also place your own family genealogies in the file section.
The Meridian and East Fork Townships Yahoo Group has genealogies and many old photos of Shattuc, Illinois and many old pictures of some of the families of Meridian and East Fork Townships. There is a file section for histories and genealogies of East Fork and Meridian Townships. There are photo albums for you to place your own photos of your family. You can also place your own family genealogies in the file section.